Anderson Cooper Is Leaving CBS News’ ’60 Minutes’ After Nearly 20 Years — Details

Anderson Cooper is leaving his famous TV show. The reason behind the broadcast journalist’s quiet exit has nothing to do with contracts or controversy.

A major shift is coming to Sunday nights. After nearly 20 years on “60 Minutes,” Anderson Cooper is stepping away, and the real reason unfolds far from the studio lights.

For viewers who have followed his reporting since 2007, the departure marks a turning point for the iconic CBS newsmagazine. Conversations about his future had been underway, hinting that this moment might arrive.

Anderson Cooper attends the Sean Penn CORE Gala at The Wiltern in Los Angeles on January 5, 2019 | Source: Getty Images

According to People, Anderson will not renew his contract with CBS, officially ending his tenure as a correspondent. The move closes out nearly two decades with the program.

As Variety reported, he had been in talks about extending his deal. Ultimately, he chose to concentrate more fully on his expanding role at another network.

In a statement, CBS News said it is “grateful” for the years he devoted to the broadcast and added that “’60 Minutes’ will be here if he ever wants to return.”

Anderson Cooper behind the scenes at "60 Minutes" in New York on March 24, 2010 | Source: Getty Images

But the business explanation only tells part of the story.

Why He Is Leaving the CBS Show

The clearest reason came directly from Anderson himself. The acclaimed journalist told People:

“For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they still want to spend time with me.”

Anderson Cooper attends the AOL Build Speaker Series to discuss "Nothing Left Unsaid" in New York City on April 15, 2016 | Source: Getty Images

In the end, the decision wasn’t about negotiations — it was about fatherhood. And while one chapter is closing, another is firmly secured.

What Comes Next in His Career

While Anderson is stepping away from “60 Minutes,” he is not stepping back from television.

In a separate December 2025 report, the same publication revealed that he signed a new deal with CNN, cementing his place at the network as it expands into digital streaming and subscription platforms.

Anderson Cooper appears on "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen" on September 25, 2023 | Source: Getty Images

Related Articles

Back to top button